Re: [Mgs] Head gasket advice

To: "Stuart MacMillan" <macgroup@comcast.net>, "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Head gasket advice
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:44:25 -0500
At 06:34 PM 8/6/2008 -0700, Stuart MacMillan wrote:
>.... found the blown head gasket .... There is enough erosion
>between 1 & 2  that the head needs to be surfaced, but the block has
>only a small amount of surface roughness.
>
>Do you think I can get by with a light sanding with 200 grit on the block

Remove all head studs, and run an 8-inch whet stome over it with
light oil.  If you can manage to stone it flat by hand it should be
okay.  Do NOT take sand paper to it in a local spot, as it may end up
with a divot that could make the next head gasket leak.

>.... There is some slight corrosion in the #2 cylinder, but 200 grit
>smoothed it out.

200 grit?  Are you sure you didn't drop a zero?  If you leave sanding
scratches in the cylinder wall it will burn oil like crazy,

>It's .030 over now, and I'd probably have to re-sleeve or junk it.

Pistons are available for +.060 overbore (cheaper than sleeving).