[Mgs] 74 B stalls on right hand corners, Mk II

To: "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] 74 B stalls on right hand corners, Mk II
From: "Eric Markley" <ericemarkley@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 16:01:52 -0400
Greetings All:

I appreciate the suggestions from all who responded but have not had much
time to work on the B today, as the battery in the Buick decided to fail
without warning. Oh well, it is fixed now.

I did pull the hoses off of the charcoal canister and start the B. Startd up
right away and idled nicely cold at 800 rpm. Much better than in the past. I
will check to see if the canister seems to be plugged.

It does not have an anti-run-on valve installed.

The ignition cables all seem to be secure. The coil is nearly new. The dizzy
has less than 10,000 miles of use.

As the panel lights only emit the faintest suggestion of illumination, I
could not observe the tach last night. When the car does this, my primary
concern is coasting to a safe spot where I won't be a traffic hazard and no
one is liable to run inro my car. But as the car is stumbling and stalling
it feels as though it is continuing to fire the plugs.

There is a VERY strong smell of fuel when I get the car restarted.

I have had the car since 1995 and it has only done this in the past few
years. Since I added the charcoal canister during this period, it seemed
reasonable to think that might be part of the problem.  Post hoc ergo
propter hoc is not always a true statement, however.

I installed two new fuel filters when I replaced the rubber fuel lines.
There may be sediment in the tank that is blocking fuel flow from the tank
or within the carburetors. The filter by the carbs is still nice and clean.

I believe that the canister that I have is the later type that can not be
disasembled and refurbished. It came from a friend who frequently is given
derelict British cars as gifts. He prefers Triumphs to MGs but he does have
a very rusty 76 Midget that might have some useful parts.

I'd like to eliminate other possibilities before taking the carbs off of the
car and tearing them apart. If it comes to that, Ihave the Haynes SU manual
and MGB manual plus the Bentley manuals and the BL workshop manual that
looks like a Bentley manual.

Thanks again to all,

Eric
Jacksonville, FL