Re: [Mgs] Mode of failure for ignition coil

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Mode of failure for ignition coil
From: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 22:32:04 -0700
Paul,

I have a question about the coil on my 66MGB.  After a recent rebuild of the
engine I installed a new "stock" coil purchased from Moss.  I immediately
noticed that my electric tack started jumping all over the place when the
RPMs got over 2000.  The car seemed to run ok.  I carefully checked the
wires and connections, including tracing the full lenth of the white wire
which passes through the loop holder on the tack between the ignition switch
and the coil.  I found no obvious problems with the wire.  So,  I replaced
the new coil with the original one which must have been in the car for many
years and the problem with the tack disappeared.
Is seems like it was just a bad new coil or should I be looking some place
else?
Ron