Re: [Mgs] HEAD BOLTS

To: "mgs@autox.team.net >> \"mgs@autox.team.net\"" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] HEAD BOLTS
From: The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 14:09:19 -0600
Tom Gunderson wrote:
> I am changing the head on my 1500 series engine. I am tring to remove the head
> bolts. All but 2 have come out easy. I do not want to strip up the bolts. What
> is the best way to remove them? Also do I need to flatten or shave the lower
> block? The replacement head was reworked by a machine shop.
There's an alternative to just beefing on the bar until the fastener breaks. I
tap on the end of the bolt or stud to help break it loose. First I double nut a
stud with the top nut even with the end of the stud so the threads don't get
malformed.

I have a torque wrench built into my arm from so many years of working on cars.
I turn the fastener slightly clockwise (tightening), then the other way, never
applying so much force that it's weakened. I do this, back and forth for a long
time. Usually, it eventually begins to move. I still don't just apply the beef,
but continue to work it back and forth until it begins to turn more freely. If
it starts to seize up, I go back to the back and forth movement.

If this works, I recommend using a new fastener with coppergrease when
re-assembling. If it doesn't, then it's time for the easy-out or drill and tap.

-The Roxter