Re: [Mgs] HEAD BOLTS

To: "Tom Gunderson" <thgun@comporium.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] HEAD BOLTS
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:42:11 -0000
Nuts, bolts or studs?  You are more likely to shear than strip when removing,
stripping usually happens when tightening with worn threads.  If you are
having trouble undoing nuts on studs then heat might help, also possibly with
studs once the head is off.  But if it is bolts in order to get the head off
then you really have no choice but to get a big enough bar on them until they
undo or snap.  In the latter case it is then a matter of drilling and
retapping.

If you are changing the head because of repeated head gasket failure then you
do need to check the block for flatness, and treat accordingly.

PaulH.