Re: [Mgs] OT : Tesla - in the flesh!!

To: "Rick Lindsay" <rolindsay@yahoo.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] OT : Tesla - in the flesh!!
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:22:34 -0000
I wonder what the CO emissions of centrally produced electricity for, say, 100
miles in an electric car are as opposed to 100 miles in a modern European
internal combustion engine.  The biggest problem with hybrids and electric
cars isn't the coal-fired power stations but the volume of CO and other
pollution produced in making the batteries and control systems as well as the
vehicles themselves.  You are far more environmentally sound in driving a
European diesel a couple of years old than junking one of those to buy a new
hybrid or electric!

To produce an electric car with a 0-60 time of 4 secs with all the reduction
in battery charge and life that implies is simply thumbing their nose at the
environmentalists.  But would I enjoy performance like that?  Of course I
would!

PaulH.