Re: [Mgs] LED Tail Lights

To: <qualitas.jack@gmail.com>, "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] LED Tail Lights
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:50:12 +0100
That's something else you need to be careful of.  LED turn signal 'bulbs' need
a load resistor at each light unit or the flasher unit will operate in 'bulb
failure' mode, and this is for both the original 2-wire MGB flasher units and
the modern 3-wire electronic units.  I have seen flasher units specifically
for LED bulbs, but the supplier admitted there was no 'bulb failure' mode (to
indicate a problem in the wiring connections anyway), this is a safety hazard.
And either OE use of LEDs has abandoned the bulb failure mode, which I find
amazing, or they use a load resistor at a position in the physical circuit
where there can still be a failure beyond it.  A Range Rover forced me to take
avoiding action by turning without indicating - or so I thought, but just as I
was about to give him the finger I could see his side repeater flashing when
his rear light unit wasn't.

PaulH.