Re: [Mgs] OFF TOPIC - COMPUTERS

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Barrie Robinson"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] OFF TOPIC - COMPUTERS
From: "Tom McCay - Classic-Car-World Ltd" <enquiries@classic-car-world.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 15:04:53 +0100
Hi Barrie, neither will make much difference to your start-up speed. Most
icons on the desktop or on the quick launch are only shortcuts to the main
programs.

The thing which impacts the most on the start-up process is the amount of
system RAM you have in the computer and how many programs you have starting
up automatically on start-up. Today Windows XP needs at least 1Gb of memory
to run efficiently whereas Vista needs at least 2gb and preferably 3gb. Have
a look in your task manager and this will show you how many resources
(Programs) are running and how much memory is in use. Right click on the
taskbar and select task manager from the menu. You may find that if you have
512mb of RAM and windows is using 400mb after everything is loaded then
either add more memory or stop some of the programs loading at start-up.
Main things are MSN Messenger, Skype, camera software, scanners etc. The
manufacturers all want you to run their software automatically even if you
only use it once a month or less.

Main rule of thumb is to put in as much memory as you can as windows keeps
growing with every update or service pack.

Kindest Regards

Tom
Tom McCay  Director  Classic-Car-World Ltd  32 Washingborough Road
Heighington  Lincoln  LN4 1RE  01522 888178 (Tel)  0870 705 9115 (fax)
enquiries@ccw-tools.com  www.ccw-tools.com

Registered address: 32 Washingborough Road  Heighington  Lincoln  LN4 1RE.
Classic-Car-World Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with
company number 3930761.  VAT registration number: 755 7630 05