Re: [Mgs] OFF TOPIC - COMPUTERS

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrie@look.ca>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] OFF TOPIC - COMPUTERS
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 08:06:05 -0600
Neither one - these are just shortcut icons mainly for show and/or
convenience and have minimal if any effect. What is slows things down
are programs that want to load into memory and run when your computer
starts up even if you aren't using them. Many are just annoyances,
Quicktime and RealPlayer being two primary ones that come to mind.
Generally they will also show up as icons in the far lower right hand
corner next to the clock display.

Go to Start=>Run and type in "msconfig" without the quotes. Then the
Startup tab - it will show you what starts up with the computer with the
option to uncheck them so they don't (but can be easily added back in).
It is advisable to check periodically to see what is in there as some
viruses also add themselves in to start up. If you need these programs,
you can also start them manually although they may want to re-enable
themselves in the startup without asking (i.e. Quicktime or at least it
used to - I keep it off my computer completely now).

David