Re: [Mgs] sputter

To: Malcolm Jeffcock <msjeffcock@eastlink.ca>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] sputter
From: The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:27:44 -0500
Malcolm Jeffcock wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I have a 74 B that has a irritating problem. When at highway speed, not
>around town , I get this period loss of power, I thought fuel starvation or
>something related to ignition. It is especially prevalent if I am going up
>hill. It does happen on the flat and if I take my foot off the gas it
>sometimes helps when I apply the foot again. I changed the fuel filter
>thinking it might help and it did insofar as the frequency of these
>occurrences. I noted that it was much easier to blow through the new vs. old
>so I wonder about the fuel pump pressure. I don't have an SU but rather an
>after market low pressure pump as per the rating in our workshop manual...is
>there a method to test the pump?
>
> Anything else it could be? Like I said I have fuel delivered to engine
>without trouble through all revs except if I am on highway with the revs at
>say 3k for a while and then try and accelerate-nothing. If going up hill I
>just lose power gradually to the point of needing to pull to the shoulder
>because I am a hazard...
This just might be high voltage breakdown rather than carburetion. I have had
something similar a few times in my life, with different cars. Sometimes it was
a failing coil. That's easy to determine, if you have a spare coil around. A
couple of times, with LBC's, it was the little ground wire in the distributor
breaking from years of movement. The harder the engine is pulling, the more
juice it takes to fire the plugs, so the car might cruise just fine, but start
to fail as more power is needed.

-The Roxter