[Mgs] sputter

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] sputter
From: Malcolm Jeffcock <msjeffcock@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 20:20:17 -0300
Hi all:

I have a 74 B that has a irritating problem. When at highway speed, not around
town , I get this period loss of power, I thought fuel starvation or something
related to ignition. It is especially prevalent if I am going up hill. It does
happen on the flat and if I take my foot off the gas it sometimes helps when I
apply the foot again. I changed the fuel filter thinking it might help and it
did insofar as the frequency of these occurrences. I noted that it was much
easier to blow through the new vs. old so I wonder about the fuel pump
pressure. I don't have an SU but rather an after market low pressure pump as
per the rating in our workshop manual...is there a method to test the pump?

Anything else it could be? Like I said I have fuel delivered to engine without
trouble through all revs except if I am on highway with the revs at say 3k for
a while and then try and accelerate-nothing. If going up hill I just lose power
gradually to the point of needing to pull to the shoulder because I am a
hazard...

Any helpful thoughts?

Malcolm