Re: [Mgs] [Mgb-v8] Kendall Oil

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Barrie Robinson" <barrie@look.ca>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mgb-v8] Kendall Oil
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 08:44:31 +0100
I thought the whole point of having standards was that one didn't need to know
the detail of what they said, or the detail of what any oil (for example)
contained.  If a manufacturer says his engine needs API SM, not SJ as that has
too much zinc, and an oil manufacturer says his oil meets SM, then that is all
you need to know.  For another oil manufacturer to then say his oil meets SJ
*and* SM makes a mockery of the system.  I don't know about North America but
in the UK specifications and claims are legally binding, and have to be
provable, which is why those so-called lead replacement tin pellets can never
be advertised in the UK.

PaulH.