Re: [Mgs] 1967 O/D driveshaft

To: "'MG LIST'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 1967 O/D driveshaft
From: "Roger Los" <roger@rogerlos.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:31:21 -0800
| The sliding joint is there to take account of positioning
| tolerances in the mounting of engine and rear axle, as well
| as their relative movement when driving.  If you have a banjo
| axle then the difference is 1.125", whereas if you have
| Salisbury it is 'only' 0.875.

OK, well, fair enough, thanks for the replies, everyone. I have the two ends
of an O/D shaft which someone removed from the car with a sawzall (!), and
several non-OD shafts for early cars in my parts bin. So I'll just need to
weigh the costs of having a spacer milled vs. "repairing" the in-two-pieces
shaft vs. trying to find an O/D shaft. I imagine it's probably a wash, and
I'll just have a new shaft built from the remains of the one I have.

Roger Los
'63 MGB, '64 MGB, '67 MGB GT
http://www.rustyheaps.com