Re: [Mgs] Steering Wheel

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Steering Wheel
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:08:52 -0800
Hard to believe you can get a working air bag for $5. In CA, people steal
them out of cars for resale. My understanding is that they run a couple
hundred.

I don't see any reason to expect the spline pattern to match, other than the
vague UK connection.

But mainly, I am not convinced it is a good idea from a safety standpoint.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 3/4/10 6:17 AM, Douglas McKinnie at d.mckinnie@usa.net wrote:

> There is no actual connection to the car's electrical system, in the Breed
> SRA-40 the inertial trigger is integral to the air-bag package within the
> steering wheel.
>
> I'm pondering this half with my engineer's hat (is possible/this going to be
> dangerous?) and half with my psychologists hat --
>
> "everyone knows that car's with airbags are safer, and this car now has an
> airbag, so therefore it is safer"
>
> For the latter, all I really need is a convincing pillow on the
> steering-wheel
> with a nice "airbag" or "Restraint-system" logo. Whether it is functional is
> immaterial. Have any of you tested your air-bags to see if the actually work?
> Then why are you convinced they will?

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75