Re: [Mgs] Steering Wheel

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrie@look.ca>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Steering Wheel
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 10:47:25 -0000
There are photographs in various books (reproduced here
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/body.htm).  First MG quite likely, maybe even
the first BMC, but I'd be surprised if it was first for any manufacturer.

There is also a well-documented case
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/Safety%20Fast%20May%202000%20-A%20Lesson%20in%20Safety.htm

of an MGB hitting a solid concrete wall at Silverstone at 120kph, suffering
0.75 metres of crush, giving a deceleration of 75G.  More than enough to
cause death, but the effects were reduced by stretch in the harness and the
drivers head moving forwards.  He was rendered unconscious but only by the
deceleration, not by any impact.  The only injury he suffered was a broken
bone in his foot, not cause by any intrusion into the footwell (there was
none) but simply his foot flying forward and hitting the pedals.  Quite an
incredible demonstration of the strength of a *sound* MGB body, and not
something I'd like to try in a modern car.

PaulH.