Re: [Mgs] MGB-GT windshields

To: "Shop at \" Just Brits \"" <shop@justbrits.com>,
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB-GT windshields
From: "gordies garage" <mg_garage@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:38:33 -0400
The BGT windshield is a different animal.  A friend took his (72) to a local
well respected glass shop and they replaced his with no problem.  When it
came time for mine (67), I went to the same shop and the same technician.
After a week, they said they couldn't get the (new) trim back on and were
giving up.  They refunded me the labor cost.  I ended up asking a hot rodder
(who also owned a glass shop) down the street if he'd like to take a crack.
Took him (and me) about an hour to complete and cost me another hundy.
If a local guy can do it, that is certainly the least expensive way to go.
Can't speak to the thickness on a BGT windshield, but I know there is a
difference 'tween the original MGA windshield thickness and today's
replacements.  As to a difference in glazing rubber, I'd bet if you could
measure 5 of them now, you'd have at least three different measurments.  I
measured a bunch of MGA windshields at my local suppliers house before I
picked out the one I wanted.  IIRC there were almost as many thicknesses as
windshields.

Good luck!

Gordie
'62 MGA