Re: [Mgs] Reporting Kent Collection emails

To: MG Digest <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Reporting Kent Collection emails
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:39:21 -0600
As a system administrator, I maintain a smtp gateway server of which its
role in life is filtering out spam for a medium size university. Thus I
frequently ponder what constitutes spam. Although commercial emails may
be unsolicited, if they are from a legitimate business and traceable
back to that business, I generally would not consider that spam or at
least spam of concern.

When the Kent emails came up on this list, I went ahead and tried the
unsubscribing which did not work just as others said. I emailed this
Kent Collection company, as others suggested, and they replied that they
had taken me off, which they did not. I still get their emails. I see
this as bad netiquette on their part, but it isn't something I would get
too worked up about. I can easily filter them out, delete them, or I
could even ban their mail servers from connecting to the entire domain
that I am on to send email here. I just don't think trying to report
them as spammers is going to accomplish anything. However, Kent
Collection's actions so far in failing to listen to requests to cease
makes me wonder about their business practices and whether they would be
someone I would want to do business with. A little effort on their part
would certainly reflect better on what type of company they are.

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT
72 B