Re: [Mgs] Clutch Judder

To: daybell7@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Clutch Judder
From: "mgbob@juno.com" <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:19:11 GMT
  Clutch judder was an occasional problem for me when I had an MGB in
Sarasota, in similar warm, humid climate. I attributed it to rust forming on
the clutch when the car was not driven for a couple of weeks. The judder would
go away after a few stops & starts. Yours sounds worse than mine, however.
  If yours does not go away as mine did, check the easy things--rear axle
u-bolt nuts, bolts on the drive shaft, shake the universal joints to test for
wear, check gearbox mount for loose bolts and that the rubber has not become
soggy &soft, engine mounts that the rubber has not separated from the steel
and that nuts are tight.  I have heard it said that low fluid in the dampers
can allow axle tramp and clutch judder, though have not experienced that
myself.
Bob