Re: [Mgs] Clutch Judder

To: mgs list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Clutch Judder
From: Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:54:09 -0500
> I have clutch judder in my 1968 MGB-GT.

Have you seen a doctor? Sorry - couldn't resist.

Mine is a '67 tourer. Things I have noticed about Rear End Hop -

1. It was always present with my car, but at times worse. When I let the
engine oil get low it would get worse.

2. I tried a new clutch thinking it was oil on the clutch. Nope.

3. Traction bars will help but they cost over $300. I've thought about
getting a pair for a Ford Ranger at $85 and shortening them, but never
got around to it. Thoughts anyone?

4. The original rear end wore out and was replaced by a Salisbury from
my '69 car. End of rear end hop. This is not your problem since you
already have one. (Or should. Might be worth a check. It *is* after all,
a used car.

5. Higher revs at take off helps temporarily, but wears the clutch.

6. Keep your engine oil topped up.

--
Nil desperandum

Glenn Schnittke