Re: [Mgs] More NJVGP news: clutch advice needed

To: "J. F. Juhas" <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] More NJVGP news: clutch advice needed
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 21:04:13 -0700
First rule of British clutches (learned many years ago from hard experience)
if the clutch is slipping, change the pressure plate.  I don't care if it is
supposed to be the world's best PP, it isn't.  Slipping creates heat, heat
weakens pressure plates.  ask me how I know this. (Hint: Been there, done
that, and got the T-shirt that goes with it)
Oil getting past the rear main should be on the wrong side of the flywheel.
However oil can wick up the threads of the flywheel bolts and then get
deposited onto the clutch.
I would have the flywheel machined, and when remounting it, use blue
locktite, or liquid teflon as a thread sealer for the flywheel bolts.
Make sure the front seal on the gear box is good.
Use a new pressure plate.  I would also change the disc, but I have no
experience with kevlar discs so you are on your own there.
On general principle, I would make sure that the inside of the bellhousing
was clean so any new leaks would show up.
Good luck
Rick