Re: [Mgs] watch your chains

To: ccrobins@ktc.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] watch your chains
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 09:02:04 -0700
Probably 90% plus of the engines pulled in commercial shops are done with
some type of chain.  Either a chain hoist, or short pieces of chain to
connect to the engine.  The remaining one are most likely pulled with model
specific tools that are solid steel and hook directly to a cherry picker.
Rope and wire rope have some inherent problems.  First off is attaching them
to the engine.  It a little tough to run a bolt though a piece of rope.
:-)  Secondly knots weaken the overall strength.   Thirdly rope can slip.  I
have no idea how you would attach wire rope to an engine.  I know my
company's safety engineer would blow a gasket if they saw an engine being
pulled via a rope.
$.02

Rick

Charlie, where is said hoist?  I might be in the market if it is nearby.