Re: [Mgs] mga overheating

To: <thgun@comporium.net>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] mga overheating
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:10:01 +0100
I'd say it was a cooling issue that caused the oil pressure to drop.  Newly
rebuilt engines will run hotter than fully run-in as they are usually
tighter.  Crank stiffness should be checked with the plugs out.  But
something as simple as the thermostat not opening could have caused it, so
warming up from cold keep feeling the top of the rad, it should stay cool as
the temp gauge needle rises, then suddenly get very hot when the needle is
around the 180F point, depending on what stat is fitted.  If that happens
then you need to check the radiator with an infra-red thermometer.  Look for
any cool spots which could indicate a blocked core, and compare the outlet
temperature with the inlet.  A big difference indicates lack of circulation
through the core, possibly from a blockage anywhere in the circuit, or a
problem with the pump.  A small difference indicates too much heat is being
generated by the engine for the radiator to dissipate.  Causes can be
retarded timing, mixture problems, as well as the stiffness mentioned
previously.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- >I took a test drive last night about 4 miles
after finaly getting my 1957, 1500 mga running. Engine starts fine seemed to
run good on the road and then I noticed the temp rising and the oil preasure
dropping. Temp when all the way up. Oil preasure about 15lb.

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive