[Mgs] 64B on the road

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] 64B on the road
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:58:20 -0600
Since its kind of a slow day on the list, I thought I'd throw in an
update on my 64B project. It had been stored in a garage in Portland,
Oregon (NW USA) since 1981. I started working on it about a year ago,
spent a lot of time replacing rubber components, redid brakes/clutch,
new exhaust, clean and installed gas tank, replace fuel pump, rebuild
carbs. I converted it over completely to disc wheels last weekend
(previous owner had disc wheels on rear, wire wheels on front as he was
converting it to ww). It started right away when the time came and I
took it for a couple of short drives. Then a long drive (maybe 10 miles)
this weekend, enough to build in some confidence. So today I drove it to
work, another milestone. It runs pretty good, granted it is still not
totally assembled. I sent the speedo to Nisonger for repair so there is
a hole there in the dash there (plus where the radio would have been).
The driver side door is just a shell as I am working on renewing the
rubber seals there. The one bolt on the wing mirror broke during
disassembly as it was heavily rusted (the pivot bolt with the spring). I
ordered a replacement from Moss and got the dreaded backorder, first
time in a very long time.

As far as running, the only problem I have seen is that oil pressure is
low. It starts at 60 psi cold but after it warms up, the car runs about
45-48 psi and idles at 10 psi. So I'm overall pretty excited with the
old car. I used to have a 65B in college, also with 3 main engine,
mechanical tach - overall seems much more primitive than the later 68+
years and with a bit more power. And due to too many classic cars taking
up garage space (67BGT, 72B), this car is insured/licensed as a regular
vehicle so I plan on using it as a primary driver except during bad
weather. That's where the LandRover comes in.

David Councill

64 B

67 BGT

72 B