[Mgs] Reliable Fuel Pumps

To: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Subject: [Mgs] Reliable Fuel Pumps
From: fogbro1@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 23:17:07 +0000 (UTC)
List,

My daughter's '72 MGB has had the same S.U. pump since I purchased the car for
her on her 16th birthday back in 1988. Although I cannot prove it, the pump
appeared to be that originally supplied with the car. When it left for North
Carolina this past September, the clock had 103,000 miles on it. Can't imagine
a much more dependable fuel pump than that. Should it quit sometime in the
future, why would I replace it with anything but a pump of the original
design: another S.U.??

I've had my '54 MG since 1966 and have changed the pump once. It probably quit
due to neglect and disuse. The car was left outside in the winter months
(covered) for many years. Also, the carbs have never been rebuilt and have
been adjusted only once or twice in the past 44 years. Granted, I don't drive
the car a whole lot, but, still, those figures seem to demonstrate pretty
dependable components.

My point is: The original stuff works just fine. I only wishB my own
componentsB performed as well as they did 30 or 40 years ago.

Ed Woods

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75