Re: [Mgs] Reliable Fuel Pumps

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Reliable Fuel Pumps
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 15:31:29 -0800
It's true that my original pump did not give me serious trouble until about
200,000 miles (when it tried to strand me 350 miles from home, and 50 miles
from civilization). But at that point it was pretty worn out (not just the
points).

The replacement started giving trouble within 5000 miles. Examination shows
that the point mechanism is built much less precisely -- as assembled, the
moving arm was cocked and did not contact cleanly.

I really don't think I should be expected to have to disassemble and realign
this component every few months.

I would consider a solid-state version, except that I suspect that the build
quality would not be any better, and I doubt that it would respond to
"resuscitation by hammer".

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 12/14/10 3:17 PM, fogbro1@comcast.net at fogbro1@comcast.net wrote:

> List,
>

> My daughter's '72 MGB has had the same S.U. pump since I purchased the car for
> her on her 16th birthday back in 1988. Although I cannot prove it, the pump
> appeared to be that originally supplied with the car. When it left for North
> Carolina this past September, the clock had 103,000 miles on it. Can't imagine
> a much more dependable fuel pump than that. Should it quit sometime in the
> future, why would I replace it with anything but a pump of the original
> design: another S.U.??
>

> I've had my '54 MG since 1966 and have changed the pump once. It probably quit
> due to neglect and disuse. The car was left outside in the winter months
> (covered) for many years. Also, the carbs have never been rebuilt and have
> been adjusted only once or twice in the past 44 years. Granted, I don't drive
> the car a whole lot, but, still, those figures seem to demonstrate pretty
> dependable components.
>

> My point is: The original stuff works just fine. I only wishB my own
> componentsB performed as well as they did 30 or 40 years ago.
>

> Ed Woods

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75