Re: [Mgs] Sat Nav/GPS rant, was MG6 Review

To: <arundell@ghs.com.au>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Sat Nav/GPS rant, was MG6 Review
From: Mike Eldred <redscirocco@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:57:20 -0400
Well, I'll spare you the full rant, but I think it's already creating large
group of people who cannot read a map, who cannot find their way from one
place to another without a machine telling them where to turn, and who will
follow the machine into oblivion rather than use their own wits.  We actually
have a road in my town with a sign that says "STOP! Your GPS is WRONG!  Road
closed in winter!" Yet, every couple of weeks, some half-wit in an SUV with a
GPS has to be towed out of there anyway.

I've managed to navigate all over the United States and most of Europe without
the aid of a machine to tell me when and where to turn.  The next generation
is going to be immobilized when their GPS breaks and they're more than 10
miles from home.  They won't know how to read a map.  They won't have paid
attention to how they got where they are, because they're used to having a
machine tell them what to do.

I'm no luddite when it comes to computer technology, but I don't want to
surrender my independence to it.  And it's not the machines themselves that I
really dislike, it's that they are being built into cars as a standard piece
of equipment.  I think it's fine if someone wants to use a GPS, but I don't,
and I don't want it as part of any trim package in my car.  The last time I
bought a car, I actually refused one model because the GPS was "standard."  Of
course, since I also won't buy an automatic, my choices are getting pretty
limited, anyway.

-Mike Eldred
Wilmington, VT