[Mgs] Sat Nav/GPS rant, was MG6 Review

Subject: [Mgs] Sat Nav/GPS rant, was MG6 Review
From: dcouncill at msubillings.edu (Councill, David)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 16:56:06 +0000
I bought a portable Delorme model, primarily for hiking and backpacking, but
haven't used it much. Its limited battery life plus small viewing window still
do not make it a viable replacement for a plain old paper map and compass. But
it does come in handy when I don't have a map like my trip to Las Vegas last
month for a convention. The rental car company didn't give me the limited area
map and I needed to find the highway route to Grapevine Canyon - my portable
gps proved its worth on that trip. Still a handy survival tool, much like the
compass I usually also have.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B