Re: [Mgs] Hydraulics

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Hydraulics
From: "gordies garage" <mg_garage@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:02:09 -0400
Seems each car has its' own peculiarities.  I've got a good friend who uses
dot 5 in his mga and has always had a small niggling leak.  Nothing serious
and only required a top up at the beginning of the driving season.  And
bleeding the brakes on his car always seems to be a challenge, even with a
power bleeder.  Once bled however, the pedal is nice and solid.  Other
friends have had from serious to no problems with dot 5.

I use LMA in my mga and have no leaks, and with care, no missing areas of
paint.  Indeed, my White Post re-sleeve was done in about 1999.  Since then,
I've had the car apart and back together.  I didn't do anything to store the
MC (for 3 yrs) and 5 yrs (about 15k mile) after re-installation, I still
don't have any leaks or missing paint.

If thinking of , IMHO, converting to dot 5 is not worth the effort to flush
the system with denatured alcohol, and, you can never really be sure you've
flushed it sufficiently.  I've seen multiple seal failures in various places
on cars that have been converted to dot 5.  Is it a poor flush or an
incompatible seal, or both?

In a new system, I would probably opt for the dot 5.

Gordie Bird
'62 MGA MKII

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html