[Mgs] Selling my '79 MGB Limited Edition

Subject: [Mgs] Selling my '79 MGB Limited Edition
From: mg_garage at comcast.net (gordies garage)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 08:39:04 -0400
Well Rick, I guess I have to take exception to some of your statements, at
least in my area of the country.  You see, for over 22 years, I was either a
salesperson, finance manager, sales manager, used car manager, or a general
sales manager at Saturn, Audi, MB, Pontiac, Chev, or Buick dealerships.
Used car managers across the country use the Black Book to help assess the
value of a trade.  Black Book surveys auctions across the country and
publishes regional editions.  Black Book is published weekly.  Never heard
of Black Book?  That's because it is only available to dealers.  It does not
feature a consumer edition.  Black Book lists only wholesale and has
different values based upon condition...rough, poor, good,  excellent, and
loan.  Most trade ins fall in the rough to good area.  Google it.
NADA is definitely NOT used by used car managers.  As evidenced by Larry's
original statement, NADA pegged his car at $8500, way too high.  No used car
manager that wishes to keep his job will use the highest figure as a guide
to a trade value.  NADA does list a wholesale (trade-in) and retail value.
Traditionally, lenders would use the NADA loan value to determine how much
to lend on a certain car.  Perhaps this is because insurance companies use
the NADA retail value for premium and replacement values.
KBB (blue book) has raised it's value (intrinsic, not car) in recent years.
As little as 8 or 10 years ago, although it was a common name, no one but
the public used the KBB value.
Perhaps the used car manager at your dealership convinced the employees that
NADA is what he used.  By doing that, he could sell a car to an employee at
'wholesale' value and still make a good profit.
If I were selling, I would show the prospect the NADA value, and if I were
buying, I'd get hold of a Black Book and show him the appropriate value
there.
I do agree with your last statement though, only a large number of sold cars
in a given area can provide a reasonable value.  With old cars, there may be
enough sold nationally, but the variance in regional values makes the
national value pretty worthless.

Gordie