[Mgs] MGA Inner Tie Rod Adjustment

Subject: [Mgs] MGA Inner Tie Rod Adjustment
From: barneymg at mgaguru.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 11:56:23 -0500
Not so on the MGA.  The MGA has no preload spring.  It has shims to
adjust minimal clearance.  If you manage to adjust it to have a bit
of drag initially, it will wear in and become loose in short order
anyway.  So being loose is normal for MGA.

If it is loose enough to wiggle endways you can (maybe) disassemble
the acorn nut and remove a thin shim to reduce internal
clearance.  Beware that this joint is often very difficult to
unscrew, and the shims are usually aluminum. This may be why it is so
difficult to open, due to galvanic corrosion of dissimilar
metals.  If you apply heat it will most likely destroy the aluminum
shims.  See here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/steering/sr201.htm
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/steering/sr202.htm
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/18G312.htm