Re: [Mgs] Speaking of horns

To: "Aaron Whiteman" <awhitema@panix.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Speaking of horns
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 11:45:05 +0100
No carbon there, just the brass button.  There should also be a bracer
behind the copper spring and that should keep the spring under tension
against the slip-ring on the wheel.  It shouldn't ever lose tension, unless
perhaps the slip-ring on the wheel isn't at right-angles to the line of the
shaft so moves in and out against the contact as the wheel is turned.  Also
depending on the column
you have the inner can move in and out if the UJ is removed, which can press
the spring back more than its tension allows for.  If the wheel has been
changed for a different type the spacing of slip-ring to contact could also
be different.

That Moss part is for the later dual stalks as it has four holes in the
bracket, and doesn't have the bracer I mentioned.  Earlier horn contacts
with only two holes in the bracket do have that bracer -
http://www.leacyclassics.com/37h8051.html

PaulH.