Re: [Mgs] loctite question - (Mgs Digest, Vol 68, Issue 5)

To: Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] loctite question - (Mgs Digest, Vol 68, Issue 5)
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:40:56 -0600
The answer for seating torque on the stud (any stud) is finger tight,
not to exceed 5 lb-ft of torque.

The recpetical is a deep threaded hole, and the stud has a shorter
thread.  The stud screws in until it runs out of threads on the stud,
at which time the last incomplete thread on the stud will bind in the
first thread on the receptacle.  Applying more torque at that time
will damage the top female thread, raising a burr and possibly
damaging a casting.  Too much torque on the stud could crack the casting.

Most studs (not all) will have course thread on the bottom end and
fine thread on the top end.  The steeper ramp angle on the bottom
thread will prevent the stud from turning while the nut is being
tightened.  Otherwise prevailing torque on the last incomplete thread
is all that prevents the stud from turning.  Binding on the
incomplete thread is also all that keeps the stud from unscrewing
when the nut is being removed.  This is why self-locking nuts have a
tendency to unscrew the stud when being removed.  That also makes it
difficult to back the nut off 1/4 turn if you want to re-torque it later.

If you back the stud out a little in attempt to synchronize location
of a cross pin hole, chances are pretty good that the stud will
rotate again and end up in a non-predictable final position when
tightening the nut.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com