Re: [Mgs] oil pressure delay question

To: Duvall Video Productions <mike@duvallvideo.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] oil pressure delay question
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 21:42:49 -0500
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net
I'm convinced that the problem is that the oil in the galleries leaks
down when the car is parked for an extended period fo time. In the case
of my '69 B that means more than two days.  I believe that if the oiling
system isn't hermetically sealed while the engine is shut down, air gets
in and oil drains to the pan.  Result: no oil in the main gallerie untl
the engine runs a bit, the passages fill up and the pressure comes up to
normal.  You hear the almost dry rod bearings rattle until they get oil.

  When my B has sat a few days, I crank it for 15 sec or so to get oil
up in the galleries and build the pressure before I choke it. Then when
it starts, no rattles.  If I drive it every day I never have to bother;
no rattles. It takes a while for the oil to leak down I suppose.

CR