Re: [Mgs] Miss

To: montejane@gmail.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Miss
From: "mgbob@juno.com" <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 20:11:00 GMT
Full-name: "mgbob@juno.com" <mgbob@juno.com>
Hi Monte,  Very likely it's fuel. I am having a similar problem, occasionally,
with a stumble upon acceleration, and the occasional town-driving speed miss.
Since it's a miss, I suspect that there is a blockage in an HIF, or that
there's a bit of water in there.  Either way, no easy fix presents itself.
While you _could_ drop the bottom cover of the float bowl off the carb, you
must have a new rubber ring before you attempt this. The ring in there will
immediately go out of shape the instant it's released from captivity, and
can't be re-used for a few days.    Mine has been getting better, not cured,
but better, with several tanks of fuel burned since it started immediately
after going back into service this spring, following a couple months lack of
use.   An old SU trick is to remove air cleaner, rev engine to 2000 or so, and
to put the palm of your hand over the air intake of the SU.  That puts a large
vacuum on the carb, lifts the piston, and sucks through that .090 jet whatever
crud is in the carb.  Doesn't always work, and may not work for you either,
since we don't know exactly what the problem is, but it is easy and it is
free.  Where are you heading on vacation?  One of our CT members went to a
graduation in Nashville TN, then returned, all within a week. The MGB never
missed a beat. Once home, he got a nail puncture the very next day.Bob