[Mgs] Stuck valve collets

To: mg-t@autox.team.net, "mgs@autox.team.net List" <mgs@autox.team.net>, Rui Gigante <rui.gigante@gmail.com>
Subject: [Mgs] Stuck valve collets
From: Richard Lindsay <richardolindsay@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:53:23 -0500
Hey Friends,

Here's the TD's head on the workbench.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1370.JPG

The valves move in their guides just fine, under the influence of the
spring compressor.  However, the collets will not break free (with my
old spring compressor).  The local autoparts stores don't stock the
more expensive C-shape compressors so I had to order.  In the mean
time, I have put a 'pool' of penetrating oil on each valve stem end
and the collets, leaving it to soak into the assembly and perhaps ease
the removal.  In the mean time, I have ordered the correct tool
through Amazon (at half the O'Reilly's price).

Once I have the valves out, I will inspect the valves and seats and if
healthy, I'll just lap the old valves onto their seats.  If damaged,
another story will evolve.

-rick