Re: [Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 89, Issue 8

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 89, Issue 8
From: Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 19:34:37 -0500
References: <mailman.4.1412964001.29039.mgs@autox.team.net> s=q20140121; t=1413160492; bh=mE3xsbH9fhOKr2xSYno0iqvrnF7SizCKdwkJNM7KU68=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=RD9Hf7RVa+zt//saNYh9jdBHWNNqrwhzw6vgE6PBTh04TG4jwdejBhDTN4yRO8hJh Hck87aweW7OtjlKmU3VWvnS4P/Mey6u0FA4R2KvHE4IdjjjJZLtf6t3j6RCtf+ZlCR 9vNG/x0pZO2YPzCyRnlzbNP2Vn6RHZtW3y6koGpbsSF/y3gdkMPNN0OyTN2GCmIKRT JvOsAWWC9oProj0MhUvJG3G0WMpuNFFlFdp+N9K4QNvOFzcYsikHP4QQnKL8f19Rm7 O1siG5oCUpPoHe22aj5uFt9yYjmXoiUDbE90bWMgyvrexk4KJtXjbB7xRHMNU+1UkI L61rERH24gNcw==
Inside the body of the five-way union that the switch threads into is a
double ended piston. It is shaped like an hourglassand has an o-ring
seal at either end. Each end of the body feeds either the front or the
rear brakes. If there is a pressure failure in either the front or rear,
that piston is going to move one way or the otherand set off the switch.
If everything is working fine there will be equal pressure on both ends
of the piston. If you have fluid at the center of the switch, the first
step is to replace the o-rings, but check the walls of the body. The
piston itself can wear, but the body walls should be as smooth as the
walls of the master cylinder andthe slaves. The o-rings arenot special
and you should be able to replace them from your local hardware storeif
not an auto parts shop. Think plumbing and water valves. Your worst case
scenario is replacing the union body.

You didn't mention what year car you have. I assume from your
description that it's a late chrome bumper car.