Re: [Mgs] 54 TF ammeter question

To: dontoy@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 54 TF ammeter question
From: mgbob--- via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:59:58 GMT
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net
Full-name: "mgbob@juno.com" <mgbob@juno.com>
--===============8611742031739250946==

----__JWM__J6389d9a8.ffb5685S.4a5ae2b4M

  A couple of questions, then ideas:  When engine revs increase, does th=
e ammeter needle move farther?  When engine is off, headlamps switched o=
n, does ammeter show charge or discharge?  Which way does the needle mov=
e when ignition is switched on?  Did you polarise the dynamo after makin=
g the polarity change?  Did you test the gauge when it was out of the ca=
r?  If you have not polarised the dynamo, do that first, then run the te=
sts again.  Should needle move farther to - when engine revs, the gauge =
is probably connected backwards. How would I know--did it myself last su=
mmer, despite having new harness and having marked the back of the ammet=
er.  Upside down, backwards, in the dark shadows, under the dash panel, =
wires seem to challenge the owner.  If needle moves to charge when ignit=
ion off and headlamps on, it confirms that gauge is wired backwards.   D=
id you polarise the dynamo after making the polarity change?  The proced=
ure is in the manual--easy to do, though the spark can be startling.  Ma=
nual also has a good explanation for testing output of dynamo and the co=
ntrol box.  The area of concern here is that all the electricity in the =
car, except for the starter, runs through this gauge, ignition on or off=
, so one wants to be comfortable that all connections are sound. Bob