Re: [Mgs] new steering rack

To: "Paul Root" <ptroot@gmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] new steering rack
From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 09:16:59 +0100
Yes, cut the little tie off, then attach a new one afterwards.  Doesn't need
to be gorilla tight though, just nipped, so you can adjust the tracking
subsequently.

I'm not familiar with what you have, but have made what sounds to be much
the same thing to measure the toe.  Mine has a pointer each side that you
position against a specific point in the centre of the tread, with the car
moved back and fore so that point moves between in front and behind i.e.
through 180 degrees, and always in horizontal alignment with the centre of
the stub axle when you take a measurement.  The important thing is to take
the measurements at the same point on the tyres, anything else will be
subject to tyre distortions and positioning on the wheel.

I knew Moss were supplying grease-packed, but not heard of an adjustment
screw.  Is that in place of the shims?  Can't see why that would need
maintenance, in fact giving someone an adjustment screw instead of taking
the time to set up the shims correctly in the factory seems sloppy to me,
and asking for trouble with those who see an adjustment screw and decide to
fiddle with it.

PaulH.