Re: [Mgs] new steering rack

To: PaulHunt73 <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] new steering rack
From: Paul Root via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 17:35:58 +0000

--001a1141becc13f1a3051bcaac11

The adjustment screw is for the inside. You still use the shims the same
way for aligning the rack to the steering column.

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015, 3:19 AM PaulHunt73 <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com> wrote:

> Yes, cut the little tie off, then attach a new one afterwards.  Doesn't
> need
> to be gorilla tight though, just nipped, so you can adjust the tracking
> subsequently.
>
> I'm not familiar with what you have, but have made what sounds to be much
> the same thing to measure the toe.  Mine has a pointer each side that you
> position against a specific point in the centre of the tread, with the car
> moved back and fore so that point moves between in front and behind i.e.
> through 180 degrees, and always in horizontal alignment with the centre of
> the stub axle when you take a measurement.  The important thing is to take
> the measurements at the same point on the tyres, anything else will be
> subject to tyre distortions and positioning on the wheel.
>
> I knew Moss were supplying grease-packed, but not heard of an adjustment
> screw.  Is that in place of the shims?  Can't see why that would need
> maintenance, in fact giving someone an adjustment screw instead of taking
> the time to set up the shims correctly in the factory seems sloppy to me,
> and asking for trouble with those who see an adjustment screw and decide to
> fiddle with it.
>
> PaulH.

Paul.

sent from my iPad

--001a1141becc13f1a3051bcaac11

ims the same way for aligning the rack to the steering column.<br>
AM=C2=A0PaulHunt73 &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:paulhunt73@virginmedia.com";>paulhu=
te" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"=
>Yes, cut the little tie off, then attach a new one afterwards.=C2=A0 Doesn=
&#39;t need<br>
to be gorilla tight though, just nipped, so you can adjust the tracking<br>
subsequently.<br>
I&#39;m not familiar with what you have, but have made what sounds to be mu=
ch<br>
the same thing to measure the toe.=C2=A0 Mine has a pointer each side that =
you<br>
position against a specific point in the centre of the tread, with the car<=
br>
moved back and fore so that point moves between in front and behind i.e.<br=

through 180 degrees, and always in horizontal alignment with the centre of<=
br>
the stub axle when you take a measurement.=C2=A0 The important thing is to =
take<br>
the measurements at the same point on the tyres, anything else will be<br>
subject to tyre distortions and positioning on the wheel.<br>
I knew Moss were supplying grease-packed, but not heard of an adjustment<br=

screw.=C2=A0 Is that in place of the shims?=C2=A0 Can&#39;t see why that wo=
uld need<br>
maintenance, in fact giving someone an adjustment screw instead of taking<b=
r>
the time to set up the shims correctly in the factory seems sloppy to me,<b=
r>
and asking for trouble with those who see an adjustment screw and decide to=
fiddle with it.<br>
PaulH.<br>
----- Original Message -----<br>
&gt; The rack boots come secured with tie wraps. While trying to do an<br>
&gt; alignment, the boots turned with the rod. Should I cut of the tie wrap=
 and<br>
&gt; put a new one on after finishing?<br>
 iPad

--001a1141becc13f1a3051bcaac11--