Re: [Mgs] Got the car out yesterday - today was bad.

To: "mgs@autox.team.net List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Got the car out yesterday - today was bad.
From: Paul Root via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 11:35:22 -0500

--94eb2c07bc90f5774e052e04dd29

I just went on the archives, and saw that there were four replies. I didn't
get one. Joy, now I have to figure out why/how gmail is blocking.

So a few questions to follow up.

The pilot bushing is the bushing that goes into the hole on the end of the
crack shaft right? So Charles, your method is forcing the grease you are
using between the wall of the hole in the crankshaft and the bushing, thus
bringing it loose? Is that about it?

Also, I see in Moss, for 5 main engines (mine is a 18V, car is 1977) there
are 2 bushings, they call "bushing spigot". One is 1" long, the other 1
1/2". How do I know which one I need?

Also, I'm guessing the rear crank oil seal should be replaced? What's
involved there? I guess I should pull out Bentley.

New lock plate and bolts.

New clutch set.

I'm going to call Quality Coaches (Minneapolis) later today and see what
they have flywheel/ring wise.

I have this ambition to make this a 1 weekend job. I'm dreaming. Last time
(13-14 years ago when I bought the car with a bad clutch) it was a month or
so.

I got the new starter from O'Reilly, they warranted it even though it was
my fault. That was sure nice.

Paul.

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Paul Root <ptroot@gmail.com> wrote:

> My son and I got the MG out yesterday, after charging the battery for a
> day and a half. It got it started and home. But I was planning on replaci=
ng
> the battery, it wouldn=E2=80=99t hold a charge at the end of the season l=
ast year.

> Afterward, he and my wife went out shopping, he needed somethings before
> going back to college today. Anyway, they both thought the car sounded
> funny starting for the return trip. So they decided not to take the
> freeway. Probably smart.
>
> Half way, it stalled on them and wouldn=E2=80=99t restart. He punched it =
across
> the 4 lane road and up a little incline to a parking lot, and the called
> me. I came to the rescue, such as it was. Battery pretty much dead, we bu=
mp
> started it and got it home. Charged the battery over night, and this
> morning, tried starting it. The starter spun but did not engage, great.  =
> pulled the battery and went and got a new one. I had a group 26R in it, b=
ut
> decided to get the =E2=80=98proper=E2=80=99 group 24. I think that was a =
mistake. It fits,
> but with no room for error. And I had an error, my mounting bracket for t=
he
> battery had threaded rods that were just too short for the group 24. Back
> to the store for longer rods.
>
> While there, I talked with the guy behind the counter, we both said it
> sounded like the solenoid not engaging, so after finally getting the
> battery secured, I pulled the starter, and back to the store again.
>
> It tested fine.  Then the guy noticed the teeth were chewed up.
>
> I think the funny sound was the starter was still spinning and bouncing
> off the flywheel gear ring.
>
> I tried looking down in the starter hole, and it sure looks like the teet=
> are angled all the way around. I bumped the engine around.
>
> So my options are replacing the ring gear and replacing the fly wheel. A
> machine shop can replace ring gears right?
>
> I=E2=80=99m in the twin cities, so is that something Qualtity Coaches doe=
s,  or do
> they just send it to a machine shop?
>
> I guess I=E2=80=99m pulling the engine.   Let the engine alone/engine and
> transmission debate begin!
>

> Paul.

--94eb2c07bc90f5774e052e04dd29

four replies. I didn&#39;t get one. Joy, now I have to figure out why/how g=
 the hole on the end of the crack shaft right? So Charles, your method is f=
orcing the grease you are using between the wall of the hole in the cranksh=
aft and the bushing, thus bringing it loose? Is that about it?</div><div><b=
r></div><div>Also, I see in Moss, for 5 main engines (mine is a 18V, car is=
 1977) there are 2 bushings, they call &quot;bushing spigot&quot;. One is 1=
&quot; long, the other 1 1/2&quot;. How do I know which one I need?</div><d=
replaced? What&#39;s involved there? I guess I should pull out Bentley.</di=
es (Minneapolis)=C2=A0later today and see what they have flywheel/ring wise=
ob. I&#39;m dreaming. Last time (13-14 years ago when I bought the car with=
w starter from O&#39;Reilly, they warranted it even though it was my fault.=
=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 7:0=
0 PM, Paul Root <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ptroot@gmail.com"; t=
s=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;pad=
ding-left:1ex"><br>
My son and I got the MG out yesterday, after charging the battery for a day=
 and a half. It got it started and home. But I was planning on replacing th=
e battery, it wouldn=E2=80=99t hold a charge at the end of the season last =
year.<br>
Afterward, he and my wife went out shopping, he needed somethings before go=
ing back to college today. Anyway, they both thought the car sounded funny =
starting for the return trip. So they decided not to take the freeway. Prob=
ably smart.<br>
Half way, it stalled on them and wouldn=E2=80=99t restart. He punched it ac=
ross the 4 lane road and up a little incline to a parking lot, and the call=
ed me. I came to the rescue, such as it was. Battery pretty much dead, we b=
ump started it and got it home. Charged the battery over night, and this mo=
rning, tried starting it. The starter spun but did not engage, great.=C2=A0=
 =C2=A0I pulled the battery and went and got a new one. I had a group 26R i=
n it, but decided to get the =E2=80=98proper=E2=80=99 group 24. I think tha=
t was a mistake. It fits, but with no room for error. And I had an error, m=
y mounting bracket for the battery had threaded rods that were just too sho=
rt for the group 24. Back to the store for longer rods.<br>
While there, I talked with the guy behind the counter, we both said it soun=
ded like the solenoid not engaging, so after finally getting the battery se=
cured, I pulled the starter, and back to the store again.<br>
It tested fine.=C2=A0 Then the guy noticed the teeth were chewed up.<br>
I think the funny sound was the starter was still spinning and bouncing off=
 the flywheel gear ring.<br>
I tried looking down in the starter hole, and it sure looks like the teeth =
are angled all the way around. I bumped the engine around.<br>
So my options are replacing the ring gear and replacing the fly wheel. A ma=
chine shop can replace ring gears right?<br>
I=E2=80=99m in the twin cities, so is that something Qualtity Coaches does,=
=C2=A0 or do they just send it to a machine shop?<br>
I guess I=E2=80=99m pulling the engine.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Let the engine alone/en=
gine and transmission debate begin!<br>
Paul.<br>

--94eb2c07bc90f5774e052e04dd29--