Re: [Mgs] Advice please, bad miss

To: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Advice please, bad miss
From: Richard Lindsay via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 07:27:31 -0500
Cc: "mgs@autox.team.net List" <mgs@autox.team.net>

--001a1140e4de304b31053b20df1a

Thanks for posting that, Simon! Read the stacks of workshop manuals and
they say, 'condensers almost never fail'. 'Almost' is a dangerous word and
it fogs our troubleshooting vision. But well done to you!

> What's that old saw? 90% of fuel problems are ignition problems.
>
> I swapped out the almost new condenser and the problem went away.
>
> Simon

And why after almost a year, am I writing this? Firstly, my MG TD
restoration awaits completion, but I uncovered it yesterday while cleaning
up the shop. Some of the old excitement returned. Secondly, my old '69
Silver Shadow is at a commercial shop getting new plugs, wires, cap, rotor,
coil, ballast, points, and condenser. And guess what; The 'almost new'
condenser had failed, leaving that honkin' big 6 liter V8 without enough
spark to start! Condensers DO fail, and when they do, diagnostics become
difficult because, "condensers almost never fail." Maybe the piles of
literature should read, "condensers almost never fail, except for the
poorly made replacements available in the 21st century."

-rick, with 6 Brirish cars, 3 Italian cars, 1 German, 1 Swedish, and 1
Japanese!

--001a1140e4de304b31053b20df1a

manuals and they say, &#39;condensers almost never fail&#39;. &#39;Almost&#=
39; is a dangerous word and it fogs our troubleshooting vision. But well do=
ne to you!</p>
ion problems.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I swapped out the almost new condenser and the problem went away.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Simon</p>
MG TD restoration awaits completion, but I uncovered it yesterday while cle=
aning up the shop. Some of the old excitement returned. Secondly, my old &#=
39;69 Silver Shadow is at a commercial shop getting new plugs, wires, cap, =
rotor, coil, ballast, points, and condenser. And guess what; The &#39;almos=
t new&#39; condenser had failed, leaving that honkin&#39; big 6 liter V8 wi=
thout enough spark to start! Condensers DO fail, and when they do, diagnost=
ics become difficult because, &quot;condensers almost never fail.&quot; May=
be the piles of literature should read, &quot;condensers almost never fail,=
 except for the poorly made replacements available in the 21st century.&quo=
t;</p>
ish, and 1 Japanese!</p>

--001a1140e4de304b31053b20df1a--