Re: [Mgs] Advice please, bad miss

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Advice please, bad miss
From: David Ambrose via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 10:40:03 -0700
--===============2058925054101227685==
 boundary="------------9D164A9C37CA67EC7B75196A"

--------------9D164A9C37CA67EC7B75196A

Some years back, I started getting enough condenser failures that I
fitted an electronic ignition module. That's turned out to be a good
decision.

On 8/28/2016 5:27 AM, Richard Lindsay via Mgs wrote:

> Thanks for posting that, Simon! Read the stacks of workshop manuals
> and they say, 'condensers almost never fail'. 'Almost' is a dangerous
> word and it fogs our troubleshooting vision. But well done to you!
>
> > What's that old saw? 90% of fuel problems are ignition problems.
> >
> > I swapped out the almost new condenser and the problem went away.
> >
> > Simon
>
> And why after almost a year, am I writing this? Firstly, my MG TD
> restoration awaits completion, but I uncovered it yesterday while
> cleaning up the shop. Some of the old excitement returned. Secondly,
> my old '69 Silver Shadow is at a commercial shop getting new plugs,
> wires, cap, rotor, coil, ballast, points, and condenser. And guess
> what; The 'almost new' condenser had failed, leaving that honkin' big
> 6 liter V8 without enough spark to start! Condensers DO fail, and when
> they do, diagnostics become difficult because, "condensers almost
> never fail." Maybe the piles of literature should read, "condensers
> almost never fail, except for the poorly made replacements available
> in the 21st century."
>
> -rick, with 6 Brirish cars, 3 Italian cars, 1 German, 1 Swedish, and 1
> Japanese!

--------------9D164A9C37CA67EC7B75196A

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      I fitted an electronic ignition module. That's turned out to be a
      good decision. <br>
      via Mgs wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAOc+-dza76gvO+0y--jZinZWWzcXPfQ9k-eLbZ_Zxmvkv30W7Q@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
        workshop manuals and they say, 'condensers almost never fail'.
        'Almost' is a dangerous word and it fogs our troubleshooting
        vision. But well done to you!</p>
        ignition problems.<br>
        &gt;<br>
        &gt; I swapped out the almost new condenser and the problem went
        away.<br>
        &gt;<br>
        &gt; Simon</p>
        Firstly, my MG TD restoration awaits completion, but I uncovered
        it yesterday while cleaning up the shop. Some of the old
        excitement returned. Secondly, my old '69 Silver Shadow is at a
        commercial shop getting new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil,
        ballast, points, and condenser. And guess what; The 'almost new'
        condenser had failed, leaving that honkin' big 6 liter V8
        without enough spark to start! Condensers DO fail, and when they
        do, diagnostics become difficult because, "condensers almost
        never fail." Maybe the piles of literature should read,
        "condensers almost never fail, except for the poorly made
        replacements available in the 21st century."</p>
        1 Swedish, and 1 Japanese!</p>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Mgs@autox.team.net";>Mgs@autox.team.net</a>
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>
Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/stargazer1@cox.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/stargazer1@cox.net</a>
</pre>

--------------9D164A9C37CA67EC7B75196A--