Re: [Mgs] Genator strap.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Genator strap.
From: Barrie Robinson via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 11:32:40 -0500

--------------9F3EAA056AC196E72767AD21

On 1/22/2019 7:32 AM, Robert's New iPad via Mgs wrote:
>    My tensioning method is to go driving on a rainy day, with heater booster,
> headlamps, radio and anything else electrical switched on, then to listen for
> belt slip or other indications of slip. I tighten just enough to stop that.
>    TDsâ?? belts are the older-style wider belt. Mine I would tighten just
> enough to keep it from flipping off the dynamo pulley.
>    MGB workshop manual says, somewhere, 1/2â?? deflection on the longest
> span.   At what pressure, one asks. I think that is generally over-tight, and
> believe that that spec was set for dealer use so that cars were not returned
> for no-charge tightening in a couple of weeks after belts were renewed. Only
> my opinion on that.....
>    O Fahrenheit yesterday morning in Guilford. Too cold to consider taking
> MGB outside, even if the garage door had not been frozen closed.
> Bob

This may be a repeat message - I thought  I had replied but my "Sent"
log says "no".   But then I am having problems with Thunderbird - my
email software.  Sorted out one problem but my have others -like this
"Send" log

There is /nothing/ easier than putting wrench/spanner to a nut and
moving it either tighter or slacker to adjust tension on belt - even
minutely  - either way!!!!!!  And that is my strap!!!!!!!!!!!  Anyone
interested....I will send photo of it installed on my Aston Martin if
you contact me

Cheers

>> On Jan 22, 2019, at 3:24 AM, PaulHunt73 <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>>
>> I took the suggestion as being an easier way to arrive at the correct
>> tension, not a method of over tensioning it.  However I've only ever had to
>> do it after having refitted the dynamo or alternator after other work, so in
>> the grand scheme of things it's not been that big a deal.  Other than that I
>> don't adjust the belt from one years end to the next, just checking, and
>> I've never suffered from squeal or poor charging from that cause.  I'm
>> looking forward to the discussion about what the tension should be and where
>> and how it is measured :o)
>>
>> PaulH.

  <head>
  </head>
      via Mgs wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:479A6013-30E9-4899-BDAB-8DAEBE47C7F8@gmail.com">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">  My tensioning method is to go
driving on a rainy day, with heater booster, headlamps, radio and anything else
electrical switched on, then to listen for belt slip or other indications of
slip. I tighten just enough to stop that.
  TDsâ?? belts are the older-style wider belt. Mine I would tighten just enough
to keep it from flipping off the dynamo pulley.
  MGB workshop manual says, somewhere, 1/2â?? deflection on the longest span.
At what pressure, one asks. I think that is generally over-tight, and believe
that that spec was set for dealer use so that cars were not returned for
no-charge tightening in a couple of weeks after belts were renewed. Only my
opinion on that.....
  O Fahrenheit yesterday morning in Guilford. Too cold to consider taking MGB
outside, even if the garage door had not been frozen closed.
Bob

</pre>
      "Sent" log says "no".   But then I am having problems with
      Thunderbird - my email software.  Sorted out one problem but my
      have others -like this "Send" log<br>
      nut and moving it either tighter or slacker to adjust tension on
      belt - even minutely  - either way!!!!!!  And that is my
      strap!!!!!!!!!!!  Anyone interested....I will send photo of it
      installed on my Aston Martin if you contact me<br>
      cite="mid:479A6013-30E9-4899-BDAB-8DAEBE47C7F8@gmail.com">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">
</pre>
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">On Jan 22, 2019, at 3:24 AM,
PaulHunt73 <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:paulhunt73@virginmedia.com";>&lt;paulhunt73@virginmedia.com&gt;</a>
wrote:

I took the suggestion as being an easier way to arrive at the correct tension,
not a method of over tensioning it.  However I've only ever had to do it after
having refitted the dynamo or alternator after other work, so in the grand
scheme of things it's not been that big a deal.  Other than that I don't adjust
the belt from one years end to the next, just checking, and I've never suffered
from squeal or poor charging from that cause.  I'm looking forward to the
discussion about what the tension should be and where and how it is measured :o)

PaulH.

          <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap=""> Itâ??s easy enough to cobble
oneâ??s own, using a quality turnbuckle (rigging screw) from a marine supply
source.
I question the need, though, as our dynamos have notoriously weak rear
bushings, and over-tightening the belt puts unnecessary strain on the bushings.
</pre>
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">
</pre>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Mgs@autox.team.net";>Mgs@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/barrob@bell.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/barrob@bell.net</a>
</pre>

--------------9F3EAA056AC196E72767AD21--

--===============3314368122849697910==