Re: [Mgs] Something (or things) leaks - how to locate the source?

To: Steve Shoyer <steve@shoyer.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Something (or things) leaks - how to locate the source?
From: Dan DiBiase via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 07:14:42 -0400
Cc: mglist <mgs@autox.team.net>

--0000000000002350c3058a2d21f3

The coolant leak where it's gathering on the cross member seems to me to be
a leak either from the lower radiator hose or the water pump. Have had both
of those on my '76 and that is where the coolant tended to gather.

Dan D
Central NJ USA
http://dandibiase.cbintouch.com/

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 2:32 AM Steve Shoyer via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
wrote:

> After working on my 1980 MGB last summer I had the car running but it
> was leaking.  I parked it on the lift and I'm just getting back to it
> now.  It seems to be leaking both oil and coolant.  I'm hoping that the
> leaks are coming from different places, but I'm not quite sure where to
> look.  When the car was parked, I noticed some coolant seeping out (and
> dripping onto the car parked under the lift) but I couldn't find the
> source.  Today, while the car was running, I saw oil dripping from the
> engine back plate.  It looks like some oil was escaping at the fitting
> where the metal oil pipe that leads to the filter connects to the block
> - I tried to tighten it as much as possible, but it was hard to access.
> Oil is also dripping from the rim of the oil pan near the rear plate.
> Most of the oil pan rim has oil on it, with green coolant around the rim
> in spots as well.  I don't think that the oil and coolant are mixed
> together - the oil dripping on the ground just looks like oil, and I
> didn't see any foaming or anything other than oil under the cap in the
> valve cover.  Still, it has me worried.
>
> I watched some John Twist videos on finding leaks and he said that the
> sump gaskets don't leak, so maybe the oil is coming from one (or more)
> place and the coolant is coming from another and that's just a
> convenient place for them to collect
>
> I noticed some coolant around the lower radiator hose, so I tightened
> the clamp to see if that would help.  Judging from the stain on the car
> under the MG, the coolant seems to be dripping from the front
> cross-member, but I couldn't see where it was coming from.  The coolant
> leaked while the car was just sitting, not a huge amount but it was
> noticeable when it dripped onto the other car's hood.  There were some
> oil drips hanging onto many of the engine bay components, like the bolts
> on the oil filter head, the starter, etc. - there was a drop on most of
> the lowest points of the components.
>
> Last year I pulled the engine to replace the cam and clutch, along with
> the other standard things to replace when doing those jobs.  Because it
> was my first time doing engine work, it wouldn't surprise me if I
> screwed some of it up.
>
> I picked up some UV dye to put into the oil, but is there anything else
> I can do to figure out what's leaking?  Thanks.
>
> --Steve
>

> ---
> https://www.avg.com

--0000000000002350c3058a2d21f3

ber seems to me to be a leak either from the lower radiator hose or the wat=
er pump. Have had both of those on my &#39;76 and that is where the coolant=
ar=3D"all"><div><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=
=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><a href=3D"http://dandibiase.cbintouc=
=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 2:32 AM Steve Shoyer via Mgs &lt;<a=
 href=3D"mailto:mgs@autox.team.net";>mgs@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></=
div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bor=
der-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">After working on my 1=
980 MGB last summer I had the car running but it <br>
was leaking.=C2=A0 I parked it on the lift and I&#39;m just getting back to=
 it <br>
now.=C2=A0 It seems to be leaking both oil and coolant.=C2=A0 I&#39;m hopin=
g that the <br>
leaks are coming from different places, but I&#39;m not quite sure where to=
look.=C2=A0 When the car was parked, I noticed some coolant seeping out (an=
d <br>
dripping onto the car parked under the lift) but I couldn&#39;t find the <b=
r>
source.=C2=A0 Today, while the car was running, I saw oil dripping from the=
engine back plate.=C2=A0 It looks like some oil was escaping at the fitting=
where the metal oil pipe that leads to the filter connects to the block <br=

- I tried to tighten it as much as possible, but it was hard to access.=C2=
=A0 <br>
Oil is also dripping from the rim of the oil pan near the rear plate. <br>
Most of the oil pan rim has oil on it, with green coolant around the rim <b=
r>
in spots as well.=C2=A0 I don&#39;t think that the oil and coolant are mixe=
d <br>
together - the oil dripping on the ground just looks like oil, and I <br>
didn&#39;t see any foaming or anything other than oil under the cap in the =
valve cover.=C2=A0 Still, it has me worried.<br>
I watched some John Twist videos on finding leaks and he said that the <br>
sump gaskets don&#39;t leak, so maybe the oil is coming from one (or more) =
place and the coolant is coming from another and that&#39;s just a <br>
convenient place for them to collect<br>
I noticed some coolant around the lower radiator hose, so I tightened <br>
the clamp to see if that would help.=C2=A0 Judging from the stain on the ca=
r <br>
under the MG, the coolant seems to be dripping from the front <br>
cross-member, but I couldn&#39;t see where it was coming from.=C2=A0 The co=
olant <br>
leaked while the car was just sitting, not a huge amount but it was <br>
noticeable when it dripped onto the other car&#39;s hood.=C2=A0 There were =
some <br>
oil drips hanging onto many of the engine bay components, like the bolts <b=
r>
on the oil filter head, the starter, etc. - there was a drop on most of <br=

the lowest points of the components.<br>
Last year I pulled the engine to replace the cam and clutch, along with <br=

the other standard things to replace when doing those jobs.=C2=A0 Because i=
t <br>
was my first time doing engine work, it wouldn&#39;t surprise me if I <br>
screwed some of it up.<br>
I picked up some UV dye to put into the oil, but is there anything else <br=

I can do to figure out what&#39;s leaking?=C2=A0 Thanks.<br>
--Steve<br>
---<br>
//www.avg.com</a><br>
/a><br>