Re: [Mgs] Rubber-bumper B cooling system

To: "S.Carr" <britfan1@epix.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Rubber-bumper B cooling system
From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 09:40:21 -0000 bd5IvxAtkzMLS1EhvlEjns4O2t3O5LTjdAlk/7p+1H2Q1KVPvVRbjAuilZP0SI4FJpKvUEqhlgjnNQ==
Cc: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>

--===============4312350376387016608==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0039_01D5DF2C.F289A640"

------=_NextPart_000_0039_01D5DF2C.F289A640
        charset="utf-8"

The V8 (which always had twin electric fans) had been and gone before =
1977, and apart from the radiator being in the forward position with a =
remote expansion tank not much else was the same.

It always amuses me when people scratch their heads like this, the =
factory knew what they were doing, and they made over 50,000 of them =
that people have been living with quite happily for over 40 years.

Whereas the V8 had a bung on top of the rad for filling the 4-cylinder =
has it on the thermostat housing.  Not much is higher than that - except =
the heater matrix which was always higher.  Nevertheless if you fill it =
correctly i.e. heater valve open and the front of the car ideally =
slightly raised relative to the back, or at least level, the system =
purges itself of air in a couple of heat/cool cycles.

However one problem with filling can be caused by thermostats without a =
bleed valve or notch, they trap a huge amount of air under that stat in =
that the rad can be full but the block virtually empty.  I've had one of =
those and drilled a hole in the outer disc.

All rubber bumper cars may well have cooling slightly reduced as the =
slots in the bumper are significantly smaller than the chrome grille.  =
But this may well cause more anguish to the paranoid on the 77 and later =
models as they have different gauges with a narrower angle from min to =
max.  That and people with modern cars being used to seeing the temp =
gauge rock-steady under all conditions unless something is wrong.  I've =
had my RB V8 on test on a 30C86F day in a garage where the internal temp =
got up to 41C/106F and whilst the fans were running all the time the =
temp gauge was still only 2/3rds the way from N to H.  Remember the =
'normal' range on an MGB is anywhere from the upper edge of the C zone =
to the lower edge of the H zone. It's only overheating if it's losing =
coolant or steaming, and there can be many causes of that where =
components aren't what they should be.

As for the clutch - yes it can be a pain to bleed, which is why I always =
use reverse bleeding as it's easier to push air up the pipe and out =
through the master than it is down and out through the bleed nipple.  If =
that leaves some in then just wedge the clutch pedal fully down =
overnight so that any remaining air gathers at the top of the pipe by =
the master, then next morning release it and the fluid coming back from =
the slave pushes that out though the master as well.

PaulH.

  ----- Original Message -----=20

  On the '77 - '80 cars, the radiator was moved farther forward (I think =
to allow room for the V8 engine) so the mechanical fan would no longer =
have been any use.
------=_NextPart_000_0039_01D5DF2C.F289A640
        charset="utf-8"

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The V8 (which always had twin electric fans) had =
been and gone=20
before 1977, and apart from the radiator being in the forward position =
with a=20
remote expansion tank not much else was the same.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It always amuses me when people scratch their heads =
like this,=20
the factory knew what they were doing, and they made over 50,000 of them =
that=20
people have been living with quite happily for&nbsp;over 40 =
years.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Whereas</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT size=3D2>the V8 had a bung =
on top of=20
the rad for filling the 4-cylinder has it on the thermostat =
housing.&nbsp; Not=20
much is higher than that - except the heater matrix which was always=20
higher.&nbsp; Nevertheless if you fill it correctly i.e. heater valve =
open and=20
the front of the car ideally slightly raised relative to the back, or at =
least=20
level, the system purges itself of air in a couple of heat/cool=20
cycles.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>However one problem with filling can be caused by =
thermostats=20
without a bleed valve or notch, they trap a huge amount of air under =
that stat=20
in that the rad can be full but the block virtually empty.&nbsp; I've =
had one of=20
those and drilled a hole in the outer disc.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>All rubber bumper cars may well have cooling =
slightly reduced=20
as the slots in the bumper are significantly smaller than the chrome=20
grille.&nbsp; But this may well cause more anguish to the paranoid on =
the 77 and=20
later models as they have different gauges with a narrower angle from =
min to=20
max.&nbsp; That and people with modern cars being used to seeing the =
temp gauge=20
rock-steady under all conditions unless something is wrong.&nbsp; I've =
had my RB=20
V8 on test on a 30C86F day&nbsp;in a garage where the internal temp got =
up to=20
41C/106F and whilst the fans were running all the time the temp gauge =
was still=20
only 2/3rds the way from N to H.&nbsp; Remember the 'normal' range on an =
MGB is=20
anywhere from the upper edge of the C zone to the lower edge of the H =
zone. It's=20
only overheating if it's losing coolant or steaming, and there can be =
many=20
causes of that where components aren't what they should be.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As for the clutch - yes it can be&nbsp;a pain to =
bleed, which=20
is why I always use reverse bleeding as it's easier to push air up the =
pipe and=20
out through the master than it is down and out through the bleed =
nipple.&nbsp;=20
If that leaves some in then just wedge the clutch pedal fully down =
overnight so=20
that any remaining air gathers at the top of the pipe by the master, =
then next=20
morning release it and the fluid coming back from the slave pushes that =
out=20
though the master as well.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><BR></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr>On the '77 - '80 cars, the radiator was moved farther =
forward (I=20
  think to allow room for the V8 engine) so the mechanical fan would no =
longer=20
  have been any use.</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>