Re: [Mgs] MGB not (re)starting

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB not (re)starting
From: Barrie Robinson via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 10:45:25 -0400

--------------8D9DA8257F0D7A5305313646

Hello, hello.   I thought these new and improved battery chargers did
not 'over charge' and cuts out when battery is charged.  Am I being
duped by the battery charging people ?   My 'automatic' charger has been
on all winter and will remain so until it is broom broom time.

Cheers
Barrie

On 3/11/2020 10:13 AM, Richard Lindsay via Mgs wrote:
> TOO TRUE!!!
>
> Mine boiled down the electrolyte and EXPLODED we I attempted to start
> the car. I have one partially deaf ear to prove the point!!!
>
> On Mar 11, 2020 3:41 AM, PaulHunt73 via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net> wrote:
>

>     Leaving a battery tender plugged in over winter is not a good
>     idea.  It can cover up a failing battery and as soon as you leave
>     it somewhere where it's not plugged in the battery can let you
>     down.  If it's on all the time you don't know when and how often
>     it is going into charge mode.  If you only plug it in periodically
>     you can keep an eye on it and see how long it is in charge mode
>     before it goes into maintenance mode, and that gives you an idea
>     as to the condition of the battery.  About the only good reason
>     for leaving one on all the time is when you are away from the
>     property for some time and will need the car as soon as you
>     return.  But with cut-off switches on all my cars I can leave them
>     a couple of months or more and they will start just fine.
>     PaulH.

  <head>
  </head>
        new and improved battery chargers did not 'over charge' and cuts
        out when battery is charged.  Am I being duped by the battery
        charging people ?   My 'automatic' charger has been on all
        winter and will remain so until it is broom broom time.<br>
        Cheers<br>
        Barrie<br>
      via Mgs wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:63f42f03-7047-49c0-bea0-963aa80942ac@email.android.com">
          I attempted to start the car. I have one partially deaf ear to
          prove the point!!!</div>
          Mgs <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:mgs@autox.team.net";>&lt;mgs@autox.team.net&gt;</a> wrote:<br
type="attribution">
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
                  over winter is not a good idea.  It can cover up a
                  failing battery and as soon as you leave it somewhere
                  where it's not plugged in the battery can let you
                  down.  If it's on all the time you don't know when and
                  how often it is going into charge mode.  If you only
                  plug it in periodically you can keep an eye on it and
                  see how long it is in charge mode before it goes into
                  maintenance mode, and that gives you an idea as to the
                  condition of the battery.  About the only good reason
                  for leaving one on all the time is when you are away
                  from the property for some time and will need the car
                  as soon as you return.  But with cut-off switches on
                  all my cars I can leave them a couple of months or
                  more and they will start just fine.</font></div>
solid;padding-left:5px;padding-right:0px;margin-left:5px;margin-right:0px">
                  ----- </div>
                  is about two years old, and it's been plugged into a
                  battery tender over the winter.</p>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Mgs@autox.team.net";>Mgs@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/barrob@bell.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/barrob@bell.net</a>
</pre>

--------------8D9DA8257F0D7A5305313646--

--===============1097718866138839045==