Re: [Mgs] Exhaust Sound

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Exhaust Sound
From: Barrie Robinson <barrob@bell.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 09:50:13 -0400

--------------441CD5577A41F55A86E751BB

Hello Paul,

I was once told that putting a copper tail piece after the
silencer/baffle would give a melodious sound (sort of brass band??)  But
never tried it

I understand that mild steel, not stainless, l gave a nicer sound.
Stainless as a better sound was a stainless steel rig manufacturer
advertisement !!!!

Cheers
Barrie

On 7/31/2020 4:02 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:

> This is a bit like "what colour should I paint my car?" (and people
> have asked that ...) but at least you can look at other cars.  An
> exhaust sound can be particular to the car although you can get an
> idea by listening to others, but you won't really know until you have
> spent the money and got it on.
> I prefer the original sound, some after-market systems
> are ear-shattering, but having had the roadster over 30 years and the
> V8 over 20 I'd have replaced both several times by now if I'd stayed
> with original mild steel.  So I fitted stainless, the V8 is fine but
> the roadster was very disappointing - they have been described as
> 'farty' and not just on MGBs and that was how it was.  But after the
> middle box got partly crushed a couple of times it sounds much better!
> PaulH.

  <head>
  </head>
        I was once told that putting a copper tail piece after the
        silencer/baffle would give a melodious sound (sort of brass
        band??)  But never tried it<br>
        I understand that mild steel, not stainless, l gave a nicer
        sound.    Stainless as a better sound was a stainless steel rig
        manufacturer advertisement !!!!<br>
        Cheers<br>
        Barrie<br>
      cite="mid:6A05C3CDD5E24786B5185BC385F56635@paul">

          my car?" (and people have asked that ...) but at least you can
          look at other cars.  An exhaust sound can be particular to the
          car although you can get an idea by listening to others, but
          you won't really know until you have spent the money and got
          it on.</font></div>
          systems are ear-shattering, but having had the roadster over
          30 years and the V8 over 20 I'd have replaced both several
          times by now if I'd stayed with original mild steel.  So I
          fitted stainless, the V8 is fine but the roadster was very
          disappointing - they have been described as 'farty' and not
          just on MGBs and that was how it was.  But after the middle
          box got partly crushed a couple of times it sounds much
          better!</font></div>
        5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
          serif; FONT-SIZE: 16px" class="yahoo-style-wrap">
            bought is sporting a cherry bomb muffler.  I find it
            annoying and raspy.  What is a good after market choice to
            replace it?</div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Mgs@autox.team.net";>Mgs@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/barrob@bell.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/barrob@bell.net</a>
</pre>

--------------441CD5577A41F55A86E751BB--

--===============9162985988888010670==