[Mgs] MGB Fun and Games

To: mglist <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] MGB Fun and Games
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 07:46:36 -0600
I've been messing with Little British Cars for some time.  First one I
drove was a Mark 2 Sprite.  Nearly killed us all.  I was used to driving
the family wagons, honkin' big land yachts where you don't make a turn,
you come about.  So at the wheel of my friend's Sprite, I started to
make the turn way in advance, and to my surprise just a small movement
of the steering wheel resulted in an immediate turn.  Wow!

The first one I owned was a 1969 Triumph GT6+, which I bought in '76 or
'77, can't remember.  Now decades later, I really wish I had kept
records of each and every car I bought and sold, commission numbers,
dates, price, etc.  Anyway I got hooked and LBCs became a large part of
my life for many years.  I ended up running Intermountain Vintage Racing
at one time, and holding half a dozen "road" races each summer out at
the old Wendover, Utah airport became too much of a chore, putting more
into it than I got out of it.  I just got burned out, turned my back on
IVR, the British Motor Club of Utah, Utah Region SCCA, Vintage Triumph
Register, pretty much everything.  Luckily I did not turn away from Team
Net, kept maintaining the mailing lists.

My cars sat neglected, the Fat Chance Garage became just a big storage
space, junk everywhere.  But deep down a tiny spark remained, kept alive
by sticking with Team Net, especially a private Triumph racing group.
Went to a number of Kastner Cup events over the years, most recently
Buttonwillow, California, May of 2019.  That event got that hidden spark
burning a little brighter.

So I am working on getting back into it.  Currently assisting a young
fellow up in Layton, Utah, with his collection.  Currently a squaretail
Spitfire, a Midget, a very nice rust free TR4 he just bought and three
MGBs.  Over the last month or two the work has focused on getting the
green '73 B running.  First big problem, the rear SU HIF4 was dripping
fuel.  Obviously a needle valve that wouldn't close.  He pulls the carbs
off, I bring them to my garage.  I clear a small space to work on them,
and await the arrival of a rebuild kit.  Go through the carbs, take them
up to his place.  He bolts them on, rear carb STILL leaking gas.  Off
they come, back to my garage.  Turns out I made a simple mistake, forgot
the sealing washer for the needle valve.  Fixed it, check my work on the
front carb.  Took them back, bolted them on, no leaks!  Took some
cranking, but got the engine to fire, sort of run, finally warmed up a
bit and a nice idle.  And on occasion, it revved nicely.

But the rear carb has a serious problem with backfiring and spitting out
small clouds of fuel droplets.  More so than I remember from past
experience working at my friend's shop.  I suspect a burnt, cracked
intake valve at the moment. But it was running, that's progress.  I plan
to go back up to Layton, about a 25 mile drive north, with a compression
gauge, and my trusty old timing light, see what that tells us.

But I am enjoying getting back into it, even though my skills have
certainly gathered a bit of, shall we say, patina to them. Wonder if I
should buy a Bentley's MGB manual?  Triumph manuals I got.

mjb.