mini-baja

Re: total reduction

To: arvind chhikara <arvind1122@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: total reduction
From: susantoa@pdx.edu
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 11:22:46 -0700
Depending on how fast you want to go.  CVTs do pose a bit of a problem in that
you don't really know what "gear" it's in.  The way we've done it in the past
is we test many gear ratios until we find one that's right.  the year we got
9th in acceleration we used something like 7.4:1 total behind the CVT.  That
year we tested about 12 gear ratios.  The car weight was about 550lbs and
160lbs drivers.  If you're using chain reduction, just get 3 different
sprockets for one side and 4 or so different sprockets for another, you'll have
12 different ones.

The way we tested:
- same driver, same level straight ground
- mark 300 ft
- with a gps, find out how fast you're going at the end of 300 ft
- with a timer, at the same time find out how much time it took to go 300 ft

Once you find a good gear ratio for the above test, test different drivers,
find drivers with large differences in weight.