mini-baja

RE: Splines

To: semperfi915@excite.com, mini-baja@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Splines
From: jcs28@buffalo.edu
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 02:20:26 -0500
Michael,

A few years ago we had to do this very same thing.  The best way to go
about this is to turn the shaft yourself, leaving the section to be
splined at the major diameter (given on the Polaris site), then have a
local machine shop cut the splines for you.  If you ask around, I'm
sure you will be able to find a shop, and hopefully they will even do
it for free.  I believe that cutting splines requires special
equipment that would not be worth purchasing for a couple of shafts.
Worst case, you can always send it out to get the splines cut, this
would still be cheaper than buying the tools and dealing with trying
to do it yourself.  Another option, depending on what your shaft needs
to look like, would be to buy an input shaft from a Polaris gearbox
and just use that (probably with some modification).  Hope this helps,
and good luck with your car.

Justin
University at Buffalo Mini-Baja